After I finished my internship with Canada Wide Media last year, I received several parting gifts. Among them was a book written by Peter Legge called The Runway of Life. I didn’t have a chance to read thoroughly until now, but one of the things that really struck me when I was reading the book was a section entitled “PASSION Do’s and Don’ts: Five things you should definitely do and just a few don’ts.”
I won’t paraphrase/quote the entire section – just the Do list:
- Start off simple: “Start by simply doing something for yourself.”
- It’s the journey, not the destination!: “Many people lose their passion in pursuit of their goals because they forget to take some time to enjoy the journey.”
- Oh, the people you’ll meet: “Take time to connect with the people you meet…”
- Change your point of view: “If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always gotten.”
- New mountains to climb: “As your passion moves you onward and upward, keep in mind that it is not uncommon to lose some of your momentum as you check goals off of your list… Take a bit of time to catch your breath, admire the view and reflect on what worked and what didn’t on your way up.”
Reading this section of The Runway of Life comes just in time as 2013 draws to a close, and 2014 draws nearer. It’s helping me reflect on how the year went, and how 2014 can be better. And while I’m reflecting, I should probably finish reading this book!